The Bank Street Baptist Church was built on this site in 1802 as a Presbyterian church. In 1840 it was purchased by a group of free blacks to serve them as a Baptist church. Because it had one of the first church bells in Norfolk, the building was known as the Bell Church. The church continued to serve the black community until its demolition in 1967 when the congregation moved to its new location on Chesapeake Boulevard.
Geographic Location: Norfolk
Physical Description of Location: 300-398 E Charlotte St, Norfolk, VA 23510. Near intersection with St. Pauls Boulevard.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth