A rural African-American school stood here by 1874. in 1927 a two-room elementary school serving the Cedar Green and Smokey Row communities was built. The Augusta County Training School (Cedar Green School), the county's first black consolidated school, opened here in 1938. Community members assisted to construct this frame structure, featuring a central auditorium, a common design provided by the Virginia Department of Education. Between 250 to 320 students, grades one through nine, attended class here from across the county. Augusta County school integration in 1966 closed the school and the American Legion purchased the building.
Year On Marker: 2006
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Augusta County
Physical Description of Location: 331 Cedar Green Road Staunton, VA 24401. Located on Cedar Green Road, 1 mile southwest of the intersection of Cedar Green Road and Parkersburg Turnpike (Rt. 254). Marker is on the right when traveling southwest on Cedar Green Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth