The Holtzclaw family acquired Ashland through a grant issued by Lt. Gov. Alexander Spotswood in 1724, and lived on this land until the 1920s. While a portion of the house dates to about 1725, the main residence was completed by 1889, and was remodeled and enlarged by architect William Lawrence Bottomley in 1929. Between 1861 and 1864, the Union army stationed pickets at Ashland, as it was used as a Federal medical dressing station. Legend claims that a Union army payroll, hidden by a paymaster who died in 1862 at nearby Waterloo, Virginia, is still buried here.
Geographic Location: Fauquier County
Physical Description of Location: Warrenton, VA 20186. Located on Lee Hwy (Hwy 211), 1.75 miles northeast of the intersection of Lee Hwy (Hwy 211) and County Road 688. Marker is on the right when traveling northeast on Lee Hwy (Hwy 211).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth