This estate was the home of James Monroe, fifth president of the United States. In 1793, James and Elizabeth Kortright Monroe purchased 1,000 acres adjoining Jefferson's Monticello. Called Highland, the plantation, eventually totaling 3,500 acres, was their principal residence from 1799 to 1823. Known in foreign affairs for the Monroe Doctrine, James Monroe also served as governor of Virginia for four one-year terms; U.S. minister to England, France, and Spain; U.S. senator; and secretary of state and war. Enlarged and renamed by subsequent owners, Ash Lawn-Highland is now owned by Monroe's alma mater, the College of William and Mary.
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: Scottsville, VA 22902. Northeast intersection of James Monroe Parkway and Ashland Highland Drive.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth