A brick windmill near here was close to the southern limit of a line of British redoubts erected in March 1781 by order of Brigadier General Benedict Arnold, who under Major General William Phillips, commanded British troops occupying Portsmouth. This line of fortifications extended north in an arc along Washington Street to the waterfront near Court Street.
Geographic Location: Portsmouth
Physical Description of Location: 301-599 Crawford Parkway, Portsmouth, VA 23704. Marker is in park like median away from river near intersection with Court Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth