This marks the northern limit of a line of British redoubts erected in March 1781 by order of Brigadier General Benedict Arnold who, under Major General William Phillips, commanded British troops occupying Portsmouth. This line of fortifications extended in an arc south along Dinwiddie and Washington Streets to Gosport Creek and defended Portsmouth from American attack from the west.
Geographic Location: Portsmouth
Physical Description of Location: 10 Crawford Parkway (overlooking the Elizabeth River), Portsmouth, VA 23704.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth