This marks a line of British redoubts in March 1781 by order of Brigadier General Benedict Arnold who, under Major William Phillips, commanded British troops occupying Portsmouth. The line of fortifications extended in an arc along Washington Street from the northern waterfront to Gosport Creek and defended Portsmouth from American attack from the west.
Geographic Location: Portsmouth
Physical Description of Location: Northeast corner of intersection between King Street and Washington Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth