The A. T. Johnson High School was built in 1937 in the Colonial Revival style as the first public high school constructed for African Americans in Westmoreland County. The new school was named for Armstead Tasker Johnson (1857-1944), a black educator and community leader of the grassroots effort for its construction. Local African Americans raised money to build the school. Additional financing came from the federal Works Progress Administration, the Jeanes and Slater black education funds, and the Westmoreland County School Board. The school was converted to a junior high school in Sept. 1970 and served as a middle school from Sept. 1990 to June 1998. It was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Geographic Location: Westmoreland County
Physical Description of Location: Kings Highway (Virginia 3), about .4 miles east of intersection with Cople Highway (Virginia 202), Montross, VA 22520. Marker is on right when traveling east on Virginia 3, in front of education building.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth