About 1617, Deputy Governor Samuel Argall established a settlement on 300 acres near here. Situated on land that had been formerly inhabited by the Paspahegh Indians, the group of dispersed buildings was incorporated into the 3,000-acre Governor's Land tract. John Rolfe reported in 1619 that the settlers had "good & convenyent houses" and that they had "done best of all New-Comers." Nevertheless, by 1627 the residents had petitioned to leave the area because of exhausted soil, decayed houses, and difficulty in defending the settlement from attack.
Year On Marker: 2012
Original Sponsor: James City County Historical Commission
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: 2225 Jamestown Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185. Marker is on left when traveling on Jamestown Road about .3 miles from Jamestown Ferry. Jamestown visitor center parking lot is on left.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth