containertop

Appomattox County Marker, Z-58

Appomattox County was named for the Appomattox River, which runs through the county. The river is named for the Appamattuck tribe, which lived near the mouth of the river. The county was formed from parts of Buckingham, Prince Edward, Charlotte, and Campbell Counties in 1845; an additional parcel of Campbell was added in 1848. The county seat is Appomattox. On Sunday, 9 April 1865, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee met with Union Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House and surrendered his army, ending the Civil War in Virginia.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Appomattox County
Physical Description of Location: Falling River, VA 24538. Located on Richmond Hwy (460), 0.25 miles east of the intersection of Richmond Hwy (460) and Village Hwy (Route 24). Marker is on the right when traveling east on Richmond Hwy (460).
GPS Location: 37.349442,-78.971678
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom