At Sutherland Station, on 2 Apr. 1865, the Confederates made a last attempt to maintain control of the South Side Railroad. Confederate Maj. Gen. Henry Heth organized the defense before returning to the main line in Petersburg. Brig. Gen. John R. Cooke commanded in Heth's absence. Elements of Union Maj. Gen. Nelson's division of the II Corps troops charged the Confederate left flank, commanded by Brig Gen. Samuel McGowan. Overwhelmed, the flank disintegrated and the rest of the line fled as well. The loss severed Gen. Robert E. Lee's supply line.
Year On Marker: 2000
Geographic Location: Dinwiddie County
Physical Description of Location: Located on Cox Road, less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of Cox Road and Namozine Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Cox Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth