The town sprang up after the Louisville and Nashville Railroad and Southern Railroad made a junction here in 1890. Named for the Appalachian Mountains, in the heart of which it stands, it was incorporated in 1906; the streets were laid out in 1907. Appalachia, in the Jefferson National Forest area, is the trading center of the Wise coal fields.
Geographic Location: Wise County
Physical Description of Location: 129-185 W Main Street, Appalachia, VA 24216.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth