Antioch Baptist Church was the first of its denomination in Sussex County and one of the earliest in Virginia. It was formed on 13 June 1772 with 87 members, the result of effective preaching by Elder John Meglamre, of Kehukee Baptist Church in Halifax, North Carolina. In 1777 the reformed Kehukee Association of 19 Baptist churches in Virginia and North Carolina held its organizational meeting here. Known as Raccoon Swamp Meetinghouse until 1852, Antioch was the mother church of six congregations located in four counties. The present sanctuary was built in 1839.
Geographic Location: Sussex County
Physical Description of Location: Junction of Courthouse Road (State Route 735) and Peters Bridge Road, Henry, VA 23897.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth