Built in the 1750s by the Zirkle brothers and owned by the Revolutionary War patriot Andrew Zirkle, the mill operated for 180 years. Flour milled here went to Boston when the harbor was blockaded after the Boston Tea Party and to the Continental Army in 1781. The building survived the burning of the Shenandoah Valley during the Civil War because its miller hung a Union flag from the roof and pleaded with officers of Brig. Gen. George Armstrong Custer's cavalry for its safety. The mill contains its original millstones and the roller-milling equipment installed about 1900.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Robert B. Andrews and Sherryl A. Belinsky
Geographic Location: Shenandoah County
Physical Description of Location: Quicksburg Road (State Route 767), across street from Mill, about .1 miles south of intersection with Senedo Road (Virginia 42), Quicksburg, VA 22847. Marker is on left when traveling southeast on Quicksburg Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth