Amherst County, formed from Albemarle County in 1761, is named for Maj. Gen. Jeffery Amherst, a British commander in North America during the latter part of the French and Indian War. He was governor of Virginia from 1759 to 1768. The county seat is Amherst and the present county courthouse was built in 1872. Sweet Briar College, a nationally renowned liberal arts college for women was founded here in 1901. Esteemed architect Ralph Adams Cram designed several of its buildings.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Geographic Location: Amherst County
Physical Description of Location: Amherst, VA 24521. Located on Patrick Henry Hwy (Rt. 360), 2 miles south of the intersection of Patrick Henry Hwy (Rt. 360) and Tye Brook Hwy. Marker is on the right when traveling south on Patrick Henry Hwy (Rt. 360).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth