containertop

Alfred Street Baptist Church Marker, E-124

Alfred Street Baptist Church is home to the oldest African American congregation in Alexandria, dating to the early 19th century. It has served as a prominent religious, educational, and cultural institution. In 1818, the congregation, then known as the Colored Baptist Society, began worship services here in the midst of the Bottoms, a free black neighborhood. By 1820 the church created its educational branch, providing religious and secular opportunities for both black children and adults. In 1855, free black craftsmen probably designed and built the brick church. Alterations to the building occurred in the 1880s and in 1994 the church constructed a new sanctuary.

Marker Information:
Date Approved by DHR: 09/09/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Region: Northern Virginia Region
Geographic Location: Alexandria
Physical Description of Location: Alexandria, VA 22314. Located in the city of Alexandria. Follow Route 1 for 1/2 of a mile, then take a right onto Duke Street. Marker is at the intersection fo Duke Street and South Alfred Street on the right.
GPS Location: 38.802992,-77.049837
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom