On 17 Dec. 1785, George Washington endowed a school here in the recently established Alexandria Academy "for the purpose of educating orphan children." In 1812, an association of free African Americans founded its own school here in space vacated by white students. Young Robert E. Lee attended another school in the Academy from 1818 to 1823, when it closed and the building was sold. During the Civil War the Academy served as a freedman's hospital. Returned to the Alexandria School Board in 1884, the Alexandria Academy was used as a school and administrative facility until 1982. The Historic Alexandria Foundation restored it in 1999.
Geographic Location: Alexandria
Physical Description of Location: 400 S Washington St Alexandria, VA 22314. Located on George Washington Memorial Prwy (Rt. 400), less than 1/5 of a mile south past the intersection of George Washington Memorial Prwy (Rt. 400) and Duke Street on the left.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth