This dwelling illustrates the transition from Virginia's temporary frontier structures of the early 17th century to the more permanent, gentry houses of the 18th century. It stands on land obtained in 1636 by Adam Thoroughgood, who came to the colony as an indentured servant and gained prominence as a landowner and Burgess. Contructed about 1680 by relative of Thoroughgood, the exterior and part of the interior were returned to its original appearance during restoration initiated in 1957 after the Adam Thoroughgood House Foundation acquired the property. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Place in 1966 and the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1969.
Geographic Location: Virginia Beach
Physical Description of Location: 1638-1698 Parish Road, at top of T intersection with Thoroughgood Lane, Virginia Beach, VA 23455. Marker is in front of Adam Thoroughgood House.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth