During the Civil War, Union Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan began “The Burning” of mills and barns in the Shenandoah Valley on 6 Oct. 1864, after defeating Confederate Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early at the Battle of Fisher’s Hill. After passing through Forestville, Brig. Gen. George A. Custer’s Vermont Cavalry formed the rear guard across Mill Creek here. Confederate Brig. Gen. Thomas L. Rosser flanked the position. The 11th and 12th Virginia Cavalry charged and the Federals withdrew, losing 50 men as well as wagons, cattle, and sheep. Local resident Confederate Capt. Hugh R.T. Koontz, was killed and was buried in Mt. Jackson.
Year On Marker: 2010
Original Sponsor: Mt. Jackson Museum
Geographic Location: Shenandoah County
Physical Description of Location: Senedo Road (Virginia 42), about .1 miles south of intersection with Orkney Grade (263), Quicksburg, VA 22847.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth