Abram Frederick Biggers (1838 - 1879), a lawyer by profession, was appointed the first superintendent of the Lynchburg and Campbell County schools in 1870. As a part of his effort to build a strong system, Biggers toured northern states to study their schools. He is credited with building one of the best school systems in the state. The Lynchburg schools opened to more than 700 students segregated by race in nine rented buildings. Biggers School, designed by August Forsburg, was the largest in Lynchburg when it opened in 1881 with a capacity for 305 students. The school served the community until its demolition in the autumn of 1967.
Year On Marker: 2009
Geographic Location: Lynchburg
Physical Description of Location: Lynchburg, VA 24504. Located on 5th Street (Rt. 163), 0.2 miles west of the junction of 5th Street (Rt. 163) and Rivermont Avenue. Marker is on the right when traveling west on 5th Street (Rt. 163).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth