Markerhistory.com was founded in 2008 by Richard Harrison to make Virginia historical highway markers conveniently accessible and relevant to a wider audience.
Access to our website is free,exclusive features include:
- History in Context Results – All search results are presented in chronological order, using the earliest event date on each marker. The resulting timeline provides a broader context to interpret the history of a topic or place.
- Topic Spider – Every marker presents its own story. At the same time, each marker is also part of a broader story. Using our Topic Spider users can explore those connections in a single click.
- Comprehensive Coverage – The Virginia Historical Marker Guide is the only complete and up to date source of Virginia historical highway markers and includes images of all existing, missing and new markers not yet cast. As of November 2012, our database includes 2,619 Virginia historical highway markers.
- Alerts – You can subscribe to receive free, event based email alerts. Alerts are intended to keep you informed about the marker program and markerhistory.com
- Topic Search – Quickly find just the markers that matter to you. Representative key topics include markers relating to the Virginia Studies SOL, Virginia Civil War Campaigns, Virginia Black History and American Indian History.
- Location Search – Single click access to all the markers in a specific county or independent city.
- Full Text Search – Perform keyword and phrase searches across all markers.
We encourage you to link to our site if you find it useful or interesting and want to share it with others.
We allow free use of up to five (5) of our marker images provided there is proper attribution. Proper attribution for print use of our image(s) require a reference to our website “www.markerhistory.com” Proper attribution for digital use of our images require a link to the marker page(s) on our website. For example, the link for the “Community of Grove” marker would be to http://www.markerhistory.com/community-of-grove-marker-wt-4/. Reuse or reproduction of more than five (5) marker images is prohibited unless expressly granted in writing by markerhistory.com.
Please send any questions or comments to richarddotharrisonatmarkerhistorydotcom.