First known as Wolf Hills, land was patented here by Dr. Thomas Walker in 1750. Black's Fort was built, 1776. The town of Abingdon was established in 1778 as the county seat of Washington County. A courthouse, built about 1800, was replaced in 1850. In 1862 the church bells were melted for cannon. In Stoneman's raid, December, 1864, the town was partly burned. A new courthouse was built, 1869.
Geographic Location: Washington County
Physical Description of Location: 150-180 W Main Street, in front of the Martha Washington Inn, Abingdon, VA 24210.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth