Built "by Negroes for Negroes," Aberdeen Gardens began in 1934 as the model resettlement community for Negro families. It was the only such community in the United States designed by a Negro architect (Hilyard R. Robinson) and built by Negro contractors and laborers. Aberdeen Gardens is composed of 158 brick houses on large garden lots, a school, and a community store, all within a greenbelt. The streets, excepting Aberdeen Road, are named for prominent Negroes. Aberdeen Gardens offered home ownership and an improved quality of life in a rural setting. In 1994 this nationally significant neighborhood was listed as a Virginia landmark and in the National Register of Historic Places, through the efforts of former and current residents.
Geographic Location: Hampton
Physical Description of Location: Hampton, VA 23666. Located on Aberdeen Road, 0.25 miles south of the junction of Aberdeen Road and West Mercury Blvd (Hwy 258). Marker is on the left when traveling south on Aberdeen Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth